What are PG and VG?
If you are new to the world of electronic cigarette smoking, it is highly possible that this is your first time reading about PG and VG. However, as soon as you start browsing the catalogues of online electronic cigarette suppliers out there, you will frequently encounter these two terms. Before you purchase your first e cigarette and all of the essential components that go with it, it is important that you take the time to know the answer first to the question: what are PG and VG? This is because PG and VG are the main bases of e-liquid solutions, and both can greatly impact your vaping experience.
How E-Liquids Turn To Vapor
So what are PG and VG? Before we answer this question that has been on your mind ever since you first entered the world of electronic cigarettes, let us first take a closer look at how electronic cigarettes work. E-liquids, which are the nicotine base solutions used in electronic cigarettes, need to be placed in a container in order for it to function properly. This container, or carrier, holds this solution in suspension. When you take a puff on your e cig, heat will then be applied onto the nicotine base solution in order to produce vapor.
All about PG and VG
So now that we have covered the basics of how e-liquids turn to vapor, let us now answer your question: what are PG and VG? PG stands for Propylene Glycol, while VG stands for Vegetable Glycerin. These two components are what make up most of the e-liquid that your electronic cigarette contains. Both of these main components are essentially non-toxic, meaning that they are safe for the use of human beings. Aside from this, PG and VG also have the ability to be easily emulsified with other ingredients as well as to carry various flavors well.
As mentioned above, both the Propylene Glycol and the Vegetable Glycerin are essentially non-toxic. Both of these e-liquid components have been deemed by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as “Generally Recognized as Safe” for human consumption. This means that even before you have started using electronic cigarettes and inhaling the vapor produced by the e-liquids that they contain, you have already consumed them through processed food or you might have already applied them onto your skin by using various cosmetic products.
The Benefits of Propylene Glycol
It is also important that you learn more about the benefits of Propylene Glycol aside from knowing the answer to your question: what are PG and VG? One of the things that set PG apart from VG is that is has a somewhat lower level of flavor of its own. This is because PG is thinner compared to VG. E-liquids that are made up of pure Propylene Glycol or those that are made of mostly PG work well with electronic cigarettes that have small openings such as the eGo-Tank.
This type of e cigarettes have smaller openings wherein the e-liquid travels in order for it to reach the heating component of the cigarette, commonly the heating coil. When use all on its own, the vapor that is produced by Propylene Glycol have a thinner mouth feel and taste. In general, you may feel that e-liquids made up entirely of Propylene Glycol or those that are made of mostly PG have defined flavors compared to e-liquids that are comprised of or mostly of Vegetable Glycerin.
The Benefits of Vegetable Glycerin
When used on its own, you will find that Vegetable Glycerin is a little on the sweet side. So when used as a component in e-liquids, VG makes it a bit harder for the notes of certain flavors to be detected. Aside from this, VG is also slightly thicker compared to PG, so the vapor that the former produces is thicker. As a result of the thicker amount of vapor that Vegetable Glycerin produces, you may think that e-liquids comprised purely or mostly of VG produces a higher amount of vapor compared to that of e-liquids made purely or mostly of PG. Some people also prefer VG-based e-liquids because they have certain allergies to Propylene Glycol and other chemical compounds.
Which is Better, PG or VG?
So now that we have answered your question about what are PG and VG, you might be wondering as to which is better, PG or VG? We cannot give you the exact answer, as your choice and decision will all boil down to your personal preference, your e cig smoking requirements, and your tastes. One of the most important things that you need to know about Propylene Glycol is that this is a man made synthetic chemical, while Vegetable Glycerin, as you can already infer by its term, is a component derived from plants.
With this being said, if you know that you are sensitive or if you have allergies to chemical compounds, it may be better for you to use an e-liquid comprised purely or mostly of VG. If you have experienced any adverse reactions such as throat dryness when using an e-liquid based from Propylene Glycol, it is definitely a wise choice to switch over immediately to an e-liquid based from Vegetable Glycerin. On the other hand, if you are not sensitive or allergic to PG and you would want something that will enhance the flavors of your e-liquids, then you might want to go for a PG-based e-liquid.
Featured New Reviews & Posts
- 13 Dec 2013E-Liquid in America – A Candid Look at Standards and RegulationMusings On The Topic Of Mandatory And Voluntary Regulation In The Production Of Electronic Cigarette...
- 15 Aug 2012Pure Liquid NicotineThings To Know About Pure Liquid Nicotine For those who are not quite aware of the uses of pure liqu...
- 29 Jul 2014The Benefits Linked With Smoking Electronic CigarettesV2 Cigs Markdowns; A Project To Introduce The Globe’S Newest Smoking Technique exactly how the...
- 28 Aug 2014E-liquid Most Recommended by Newport Smokers For Those Going Smoke-FreeE-liquid Most Recommended by Newport Smokers For Those Going Smoke-Free If you are a Newport smoker,...
- 28 Aug 2014Did You Smoke Parliament? These E-Liquids Will Help Ease Your Transition To VapingE-liquids for Parliament Brand Smokers The Parliament cigarette brand, from tobacco leviathan Philip...
- 11 Sep 2014Best E-liquid Flavors ‘Kool’ Smokers Will Like BestThe History of Menthol Cigarettes Menthol cigarettes are flavored by the compound “menth...
- 11 Sep 2014Best E-liquid Flavors for Salem Smokers Ready To Make The SwitchAre you looking to switch your e-liquid flavor? What many e-cigarette smokers do not realize the rig...
- 11 Sep 2014Top E-liquids for Benson & Hedges Smokers Now VapingProduct description: E-Liquid is something to take as an alternative to smoking. You’re not ac...
- 13 Aug 2012What Are PG and VGWhat are PG and VG? If you are new to the world of electronic cigarette smoking, it is highly possib...
- 13 Aug 2012What Is Throat Hit?If you have recently made the switch from traditional tobacco cigarettes to electronic cigarettes, t...
- 20 Aug 2012E-Liquid vs E-JuiceIf you are new to the world of ‘electronic cigarettes’ and ‘vaping’ you are...
- 28 Aug 2014Recommended E-liquid Flavors for New Vapers Who Smoked Gauloises Cigarettes
- 04 Aug 2014The Ultimate Quest for the All Day Vape
- 15 Aug 2012Dekang E Liquids
- 15 Aug 2012E-Liquid Recipes
- 13 Aug 2012Vapor4Life Nobacco USA E Liquid
- 13 Aug 2012Best E Liquid Suppliers
- 13 Aug 2012Halo E Juice Review
- 12 Aug 2012Altsmoke High Calibre E-Liquid Review
- 12 Aug 2012Marlboro E Liquid Flavors
- 12 Aug 2012E-liquid Planet Review